Sunday, March 14, 2010
To use supplements or not is a contentious issue made more confusing by the huge array of supplements promoted to athletes. There are many issues to consider when deciding whether to use nutritional supplements or not.
1) Are you getting what you're paying for? Quality control regulations for nutritional supplements vary from country to country, and are generally not tight.
2) What is the supplement meant to help you with, and how does it work? Many athletes take supplements simply because someone else is - which is simply NOT a good enough reason!
3) What is the proof that it works?
4) How much does it cost? Is there any benefit over food alone?
5) Are there any side effects, and could it affect your health and wellbeing in either the short or long term?
ALWAYS REMEMBER, NO SUPPLEMENT WILL EVER REPLACE SMART TRAINING OR A WELL-BALANCED DIET WITH ENOUGH ENERGY FOR YOUR NEEDS.
Read the full article here: