Competing will be Fitnance rookies Tanya Matthews and Mitchell Birch.
Thursday, December 22, 2011
Fitnance Strongman Team
Competing will be Fitnance rookies Tanya Matthews and Mitchell Birch.
What is the single best thing to improve your health?
Dr Mike Evans presents an informative, visual answer to the question:
'What is the single best thing we can do for our health?'
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Job Opportunities at Momentum Fitness Clubs:
At momentum we want to make a difference and change peoples lives for the better by helping them achieve their health and fitness goals, through tailored individual health and fitness programs that suit the wants and needs of each client. We have 2 full service 5 star personal training and fitness consultancy studios in Brisbane's CBD that offer client services for a low investment that anyone can afford in a friendly supportive environment.
What we offer our Fitness Consultants:
1. A fully systemised and private five star facility to conduct Personal Training from.
2. Weekly team training days and workshops to refine your skills and boost your business.
3. Cost effective start-up and ongoing support.
4. Regular leads and support in client generation and retention.
5. Great inner city locations providing massive opportunity to grow and develop a strong Personal Training business.
For more details on becoming a world class Health and Fitness Professional contacts are as follows:
Momentum Queen Street
0448 448 457
Momentum Creek St
Greg Nicholson in Sydney to Hobart!
Head Swimming Coach position available at Somerset Hills
Australasian Gymnastics & Dance Academy Venue Manager/Head Coach
Applicants will work with the Manager to maintain the programs offered by the Academy. Head Coach position will require Level 1 Coaching Accreditation, Senior First Aid + CPR with good communication skills and initiative to work independently or in a team environment.
Salary starts from $50,000.
Applications close 13th January 2012.
More details at http://tinyurl.com/ceuvpbd
Casual Water Polo coaching position at St Margaret's
Casual Basketball Coach position at St Margaret's
Coaches should possess Level 1 Coaching Accreditation with a passion for working with and developing skills in students.
Applications close 6th January 2012.
Personal Trainer position at Nerang
Fitnance High Performance Ballet Team
Thank you Lanita + family!
Monday, December 19, 2011
Canberra Triathlon results
Jesse Kerrison competing at Omnium Nationals
Keep up the great work Jesse, good luck in the new year!
Friday, December 16, 2011
Revised Nutrition Guidelines
The National Health and Medical Research Council last week released new nutritional guidelines for Australian adults, adolescents and children. The new guidelines were released to highlight new research into appropriate dietary choices and to promote good nutrition and health. This comes at a time where obesity and type-2 diabetes are at an all-time high in Australia, with numbers set to rise further.
The guidelines recommend regular consumption of fruits and vegetables. Though this is nothing new, recent studies have shown a variety of vegetable types and colours can reduce the risk of some cancers. Similarly, consumption of a wide range of fruits has been shown to decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Perhaps more obviously, the guidelines suggest strong evidence exists that sugar-sweetened drinks are associated with weight (fat) gain.
There is also new evidence suggesting eating whole grain products can decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease, excessive weight gain and type-2 diabetes. Milk and other dairy products have also been shown to decrease the risk of heart disease in some cases.
Committee chairwoman Doctor Amanda Lee summarises -
"We need to eat double the amount of vegetables and fruits, double the amount of wholegrain cereals, much more milk, yoghurt and low-fat cheese, and increasing our lean poultry and fish,"
Detailed guidelines can be found at http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/publications/attachments/n31.pdf
A simplified poster can be found at http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/publications/attachments/n32.pdf
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Fitnance would like to congratulate Jackie Hill for being selected in the State Equestrian Team.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Employer – Everybody Bootcamps Indooroopilly
24/7 Gym with low rent
1 male and 1 female position available early next year
Contact Sam Waller via email or phone for more information
0425 512 470
Don't Lose Your Fitness Over Christmas
Evidence shows that two weeks of detraining is sufficient to cause a significant reduction in aerobic fitness. However, how quickly you lose your fitness and strength depends on several factors, including how fit you are, how long you have been exercising and how long you stop for.
Losses in strength and fitness are greater in beginners than trained athletes. One study showed that beginners, who quit exercising after two months, lost all their aerobic gains and returned to their original fitness levels within two months of being inactive.
In comparison, a study on athletes showed that after three months of stopping exercise entirely, the athletes had lost about half of their aerobic gains over the last year. So, the fitter you are, the less fitness you will lose if you have a break from training.
On average it takes two weeks to rebuild the fitness lost for each week of inactivity. This is something to consider over the Christmas break as it would be a shame to lose what you have worked so hard for.
Decreasing training level doesn’t result in the same loss of strength as completely stopping all exercise. So at Christmas time if you can’t maintain your usual training level then don’t stop completely. Even doing small amounts of weight bearing activity will minimise the amount of strength you lose. To minimize losses in aerobic fitness, aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise five times per week.
Feel free to ask the Fitnance staff about a maintenance program you can do at home over the Christmas break, and remember, it is a complete break from exercise for more than 2-3 weeks that will be the most detrimental.
Monday, December 12, 2011
Maintaining your weight over xmas
It is important to adapt an ongoing mindset of eating well out of respect for your body and not punishing yourself.
Here are a few tips to help maintain your weight and healthy eating mindset over Christmas:
- Eat until you feel full but not sickly stuffed.
- The first 3 mouthfuls always taste the best, after that the taste doesn't improve so try having just 3 bites of that Christmas cake and putting the rest away for another day
- Exercise in the morning, before the Christmas party. Exercising first thing in the morning will ensure you don't get distracted by events during the day and miss your workout.
- Exercise on Christmas day! Wake up early and go for a walk or run around the block before the festivities begin.
- Include fruit or salad with every main meal to reduce the calorie content. This season offers a huge variety of yummy fruit and vegetables such as mangoes, cherries, apricots, plums, asian greens, capsicum, cucumbers, mushrooms, peas, tomatoes and many more.
- Serve yourself up a piece of meat no bigger than the size of your palm then fill your plate with salad. Christmas lunch is often a buffet full of various types of meat but sticking to salad and no more meat than what would easily fit in the palm of your hand will make a huge difference to the calorie content of the meal.
- Eat dinner before going to that party. When at a function, the canapes are often full of calorie dense foods. Eating a small meal before you go will minimise hunger meaning you won't feel like you need to go back to that platter.
- Don't eat unless you are sitting down with food on a plate. Nibbling can add huge amounts of calories to your daily intake without you even realizing. By all means eat left overs, but put them on a plate and enjoy them as a set meal. Sit down and savour each mouthful.
- Lastly, just because its Christmas day doesn't mean you have to try everything on the table. Remember there will be left overs so you can always try what you missed on boxing day.
Fan Development Coordinator
Employer - Brisbane Lions AFC
Salary not stated
Location - Brisbane
Closing date - 18 Dec 2011
Franchise Opportunity in QLD
Employer - Step into Life Outdoor Group Personal Training
Salary - from $80,000 pa OTE
Location - all areas, QLD
Closing date - 7 Jan 2012
Employer -Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles
Salary - voluntary
Location - Sunshine Coast
Closing date - 5 Jan 2012
Employer - Rowing QLD
Salary -$40,000 pa + super
Closing date - 13 Jan 2012
Women's Gymnastics Coach Level 1-3
Employer -Wide Bay Gymnastics Club
Salary - Not stated
Location - Hervey Bay
Closing Date -21st Dec
Employer - Wide Bay Gymnastics Club
Salary - Dependent upon experience and qualifications
Location - Hervey Bay
Closing Date -7 Jan
Employer -Special Olympics QLD
Closing date -6 Jan 2012
Employer -YMCA Brisbane
Closing date -6 Jan 2012
Well done Joe!!
Hi my name is Nikki and I have just finished my fourth year of a double degree in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition and Dietetics at QUT.
I am doing prac at Fitnance over December for a total of 140 hours.
I have always been interested in health and enjoy keeping fit and eating good food.
I have played hockey for 18 years as well as touch football, gymnastics, dancing, rugby union and athletics.
I look forward to meeting everyone at Fitnance!
Fitnance would like to congratulate Brooke Spence, Kim Carrol and the Women's Roar Team for their 2-0 win against Adelaide United.
Fitnance would like to offer their congratulations to the following athletes who competed in the Raby Bay Triathlon...
Kristy Harnett who achieved a time of 01:08:26
Josh Santacaterina who's time was 01:05:49
Sarah Richmond who's time was 01:15:05
Tiffany Sheerin who achieved a time of 01:15:33
Steven Houghton who's time was 01:16:34
Kaili Roach who achieved a time of 01:20:00
Brenda Cronin who's time was 01:28:13
Simon Lyell who's time was 01:10:59
Drew Standish who achieved a time of 01:19:57
Well done Melanie Schlanger who competed in the 200m Freestyle, Chris Wright for the 100m Butterfly and Jayden Hadler for the 100m Butterfly.
In the men's 3000m Steeplechase Peter Nowill achieved a time of 8:55.59 and Daryl Crook ran 8:58.18.
In the women's 800m Brittany McGowan ran a time of 2:09.35.
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Monday, December 5, 2011
Job Opportunities from Seek
Personal Training adverts on Seek:
Personal Trainer with FitProfessionals - West Brisbane
Personal Trainer / Strength and Conditioning coach with Iron Underground – CBD & Inner Suburbs
Personal Trainer with Personal Best – Brisbane City, Kenmore & Sherwood
Personal Trainer with Stepz Fitness- St Lucia
See the website for many more job opportunities: http://www.seek.com.au/
Job Opportunities from the Sportspeople Jobs Market
Thursday, December 1, 2011
Please note the following fitness industry positions currently available around Brisbane;
Fernvale Indoor Sports Centre
Fernvale | QLD | Australia
16 Dec 2011
Brisbane | QLD | Australia
2 Dec 2011
South Pine Sports Association Inc.
From $45,000 pa
Brendale | QLD | Australia
22 Dec 2011
Personal Trainer Positions;
Organisation: Fit Professionals
Location: West Brisbane
- 1-on1 Personal Training Sessions
- Group Fitness - conducting classes small/mid sized where necessary
- Fitness Assessments & Full Programming
- Club Maintenance - assisting in cleaning & keeping the club in top shape at all times
- Certificate III & IV in Fitness
- Fitness Professional Registration & Insurance
- First Aid & CPR
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply online now!
- Email Flick - firstname.lastname@example.org
Organisation: Step it Up
Location: Daisy Hill
How Step It Up could benefit you:
- Flexible working hours
- Access to first class equipment and facilities
- The opportunity to supervise gym shifts and run group fitness classes.
- You will be pushed to succeed. Your success is our success; we provide training and support on request for no additional expense to you.
-A positive atmosphere with the aim of making you as successful as possible.
What Step It Up requires from you:
- Enthusiasm and a friendly personality
- Certificate III in Fitness (or higher)
- Current first aid and CPR (or willingness to obtain)
contact: Spencer Wright - 1800 783 748
Organisation: Iron Underground Strength Training & Fight School
Location: Inner Suburbs
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage your own personal training operation within our facility including budgeting, sales, managing your clientele and professional conduct
- Major tasks include the conduct of personal training sessions, the care and management of clients and helping maintain a tidy work environment
Education & Qualifications
- Cert IV in Fitness
- ABN (or prepared to get one)
- First Aid Certificate
- Several years of working within the industry or established within the industry preferred however this is not an essential requirement!
- Your salary will be determined ultimately by you. Big opportunity.
- Limitless potential to begin or further develop your personal training operation utilizing our flexibility and niche market.
contact: Paul Thompson - 0422 671 661